Friday, May 25, 2007

Movie recommended . . .



The Painted Veil
I can't say I exactly loved it, because I'm the kind of person who resents movies that depict tragic things - my sanguine optimism prefers cotton-candy happy endings. If a movie is going to make me cry it dern well better make up for it in the end with sunshine and rainbows - - and, well, this movie does nothing of the kind. Nevertheless, objectively, this movie has a hopeful, realistic message in it and it is one of those movies which fit the Christian/Catholic worldview pretty dern well. Don't see it with kids, and don't see it if you're really sensitive to modesty issues - it covers a lot of stuff about sex, but the way it's treated really emphasizes what it means within a marriage and what it does when it is not kept within it.

No comments: