Sunday, May 20, 2007

A day in the life . . .

. . . "Well, I dunno, I like the name Anne, but I also like the name Fiona."
"Eh, yeah, it's okay. It's still kinda weird."
"You think all the interesting names are weird. I refuse to make another child on this earth suffer with a blah Catholic name that everyone else has. No Pauls, no Johns, no Marks, no Marys or Katies . . . "
. . . *silence indicative of thought on something else* . . .
"What are you thinking, honey?"
"Huh? Oh, sorry. I was trying to spell 'Fiona' in Greek."
. . . *blink*, *blink* . . .
"You were what?"
"I was trying to figure out how to spell Fiona in Greek."
. . . a few moments of silence . . .
"First of all, I think that might be the nerdiest thing you've done to-date. Second, the name is Gaelic, not Greek."
"Well, you could spell it in Greek. However, I can't figure out which letter to use for the 'o'."

Fortunately, my love's risibility did kick in and he was able to see the ridiculous in this conversation. There was a time when he would have just looked at me blankly and wondered what my problem was.

And later on . . .

My future brother-in-law was wearing a shirt with a picture and signature on the front. The signature, however difficult to read, said "Jimi Hendrix". My mother had an adverse reaction to it, and asked him what on earth that was all about. He was about as animate in his response as he ever is. :) My future mother in law says, "Yeah, please, you tell him. He doesn't listen to me."

Later, when we got home, mother was telling my dad about the tee-shirt. I figured it was a good time to ask a question, since there was nobody outside of my immediate family to ridicule me.

"Who's Jimi Hendrix?"

My dad just looked at me. My mother said, "He wrote horrible, nasty, loud music. I never liked it."

"What were his hits?"

"Oh, he didn't have any." my mother responded. I seriously doubted this to be the case, since I had heard of the name in some vague way before.

My father says, "Don't ask a person for her opinion on Jimi Hendrix if her favorite singers were The Partidge Family, John Denver, and James Taylor. Jimi Hendrix wrote 'Purple Haze'."

"Oooooh, yeah, okay . . . " I said. Mom made a face at Dad.

Oh yes, a day in the life . . .

No comments: